Amazingly we are already heading into the middle of January! and how did that happen?
I don’t know about you, but I had the tree down and out the door on January 1st. I’ve since packed all the decorations away and cleaned the house from top to bottom.
Today I bravely peeked into the back of the refrigerator to see what was left behind in the rush, and came up with some oranges and a jar of mincemeat. An old recipe that my Mom used to make came to mind. It’s unusual in that the whole orange, peel and all is used. Sounds kind of weird, but I can tell you that these muffins are pretty scrumptious. After a good whirring in the blender the orange and the mincemeat virtually disappear – and you are left with an aromatic, slightly spicy, moist muffin. Definitely worth a try!
- 1 whole, unpeeled orange, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup mincemeat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Blend whole orange in blender, add juice, mincemeat, egg, cold butter, and sugar. Blend very well. Add to flour mixture and mix well.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.