Here’s an amazing way to use leftover mincemeat you may have purchased for pies for the holidays. This is an old recipe of my Mom’s, and a bit of an unusual one at that. The whole orange and peel are thrown in … sounds kind of weird, but I can tell you that these muffins are pretty scrumptious.
After a good whirring in the blender, the orange and the mincemeat virtually disappear – and you are left with an aromatic, slightly spicy, moist muffin. Definitely worth a try!
Aren’t these little measuring cups just the sweetest? My oldest daughter gave them to me years ago (from Pier One). They make being organized quite a bit more fun!
- 1 whole, unpeeled orange, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup mincemeat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- *1/2 cup raisins
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons cream (until desired consistency is reached)
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Beat well.
- Sift flour, soda, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Blend whole orange in blender, add juice, mincemeat, egg, cold butter, and sugar. Blend very well. Add to flour mixture and mix well.
- *Add 1/2 cup raisins after all other ingredients are blended.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
If you feel like making your own mincemeat, check out this recipe by my daughter at A Pretty Life.