Welcome to Five Things Friday where I share what I’m reading, watching, eating, making, or just plain loving at the moment.
Five Things Friday is kind of like gathering around the water cooler, as in … how about those Oilers eh? sigh … sad face, happy face … sad face … maybe next year face … .
But spring has definitely sprung here. The ice is off the lake, the trees are green, and my garden is pushing up at an alarming rate. Once it starts, it’s like a whirlwind. I’ll soon be seeing anemones in bloom … gah!
Every year it seems like a miracle and there’s no thyme to waste ;)So we may as well get to it, right?
Five Things Friday | May 12
What I’m Reading
Actually I’m re-reading The Handmaids Tale. I read it when it was first published (suffice it to say it was a long time ago) but I was more than a little startled, and disturbed, to see that it has been republished and made into a TV mini series.
I always avoid getting political, but this dystopian classic is a must read for every woman (and man) and is more relevant today than ever. Margaret Atwood is genius and her introduction in this release is provocative.
To quote the Phoenix Gazette “The most chilling cautionary novel of the century”. Enough said.
What I’m Working On
I may have mentioned his before, but I’m taking a blogging class with Emily Quinton at Makelight. It’s called “The Thread” and I’m finding it extremely inspiring. My head is exploding with ideas so now I have to make sure I do something with it all (see below :)
What I’ve Discovered
I’ve gone back to using iA Writer to draft blog posts and keep notes. It’s simply a distraction-free, plain text editor.
I was using it a long time ago … so long that in fact I had to purchase the new version and start over. But I think it will be worth it, as yesterday I had the biggest brain dump ever! and I know I won’t be misplacing my notes. Even if I lose my iPad, my work will be in the Cloud and synced to all my devices. I can see four or five blog posts coming from it. I simply need to buckle down and do the work.
What’s Up in the Garden
- Perennial Geraniums
- Rabbits ;)
My Gratitude Journal
I’m so grateful for:
- Being able to go to greenhouses again! I love it!
- Buying fresh pots of herbs and planting my herb garden.
- So thankful for the warm weather turning our world green almost over night.
- Clearing out trash. Getting rid of stuff.
- A GREAT haircut. I always seem to need a haircut. But this time my stylist Angela did the best job ever (my hair is finally recovering after a year of bad cuts it seems.)
- Being able to buy new spring clothes and shoes. I’ve been partaking in Kelly Rae Roberts Wear Your Joy series, and even though I could almost be her grandmother, it has really helped me define my style. It has also helped me to clean out my closet :)
- My family.
So that’s it for me today. We are going to be setting up the rest of our dock, and putting the boat in the lake. Fun times.
Have a lovely weekend my dear readers!