Rhubarb Strawberry Coffee Cake is one of our family’s favourite spring treats. It’s quick and easy to make, and usually shows up at our breakfast table.
Served with coffee, I can’t think of a better way to start the day!
But looking at this photo … you may ask … where are the strawberries? Well, technically there are no strawberries, it’s a secret ingredient which lends an amazing moistness and flavour that can’t be beat.
The top layer will look something like this … blobs of batter (try to spread them out as much as you can, but don’t stress about the mess) …
It will end up looking pretty good … rustic perhaps:
So here’s the recipe with the secret ingredient revealed (strawberry jello!)
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- One package strawberry jello
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted pecans, chopped
- Spread 1/2 of the batter in an 8 x 13 inch pan.
- Layer rhubarb mixture over and sprinkle with 1/2 of the sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Layer the rest of the batter (it won't cover perfectly but that's how it is)
- Layer the rest of the cinnamon topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Don’t forget Sunday Sundries (on Sunday of course) … stop by and share a link, or a comment to tell us what you’re celebrating!
It’s also on IG #sunday_sundries @keepingwiththetimes