It’s funny how things go. I was at HomeSense the other day, and came across these gorgeous soup cups. The first thing that popped into my mind was Vichyssoise … I have to make Vichyssoise.
Have you ever tried Vichyssoise? It’s an amazing delicacy. Cool, creamy, and so easy to make.
Apparently there is some controversy as to whether it originated in France or the United States. I didn’t know that… I thought it was French.
Oh well, no matter the origin, it is a must-try. Summer in a cup.
- 5 leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 Tbsp butter
- 7 medium potatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 2/3 tsp salt
- 5 cups rich milk
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- chives for garnish
- In a saucepan, saute leeks and onions in butter until soft, but not brown.
- Peel and slice potatoes thinly (3 cups).
- Add potatoes, broth, and salt to the saucepan and cook until soft (35-40 minutes).
- Blend in blender, return to heat, add milk, stir constantly and bring just to the boiling point.
- Cool, and blend again.
- Add cream and chill 2 - 3 hours.
- Serve in well chilled bowls, garnish with chives.