Linzer cookies are something I hadn’t tried baking until late last year when I made my Hazelnut Star Cookies for Christmas. I have to tell you – they are so fun to make … and eat for that matter.
These cookies look innocent enough, but this yummy chocolate version with a Nutella filling scored a 10 at our house! A Nutella and chocolate cookie lovers dream!
On the day I made these cookies, I didn’t have any Nutella in the house … so I made my own using chocolate, hazelnuts, cream, etc … but I would recommend buying the Nutella since I think the texture would be better. Although, I mean … my home-made version was absolutely delicious … and no one was complaining that’s for sure (especially not me since I was eating it out of the jar). I can’t remember where I got the Nutella recipe, but you could search around for one like I did.
So here’s the long awaited recipe! I found it at The Smitten Kitchen quite a few years ago and it’s the perfect recipe for rolled and cut out cookies since it really holds its shape when baked. Enjoy!
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside.
- Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer.
- Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.
Oh, and I’m sending out the link to this word art in my next newsletter!