This is a simple dessert, but there’s nothing simple about the taste! I’ll be serving this for our Christmas Eve dinner (so that tells you something)…
It can all be made ahead – bake up the loaf and have it ready in the freezer, then on the morning of the day you plan to serve it, take it out and let it thaw.
The caramel sauce should be made only a day or two ahead. Let it cool a bit, store it in a jar and refrigerate. To serve, pour it into a saucepan and gently reheat.
Gingerbread with Apples and Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Cream butter and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, baking powder and flour.
- Beat baking soda into molasses until foamy, and add to butter mixture.
- Add the 1/4 tsp baking soda to the boiling water.
- Add this alternately with the dry ingredients to the butter/molasses mixture.
- Fold in beaten egg (batter will be thin).
- Pour into greased, or parchment-lined loaf pan and bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- For the caramel sauce, melt butter in pan, add brown sugar and stir thoroughly. Add cream, stir and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved and sauce bubbles a tiny bit and thickens.
- Place gingerbread on serving dish, pour sauce over and serve warm. Add sauteed apples if desired.
Recipe from The Best of Bridge
ummm… you may want to double everything… :)