Create a Page
- From the Dashboard, choose Pages > Add New, and give it a name. I’m calling mine PIES.
- Click Publish. Don’t worry, it won’t automatically appear on your blog.
Create a Gallery
- Open your blog in another tab on your browser. Navigate to a post that you want to link to the Gallery, and copy the URL.
- Go back to the Page and click Add Media, then click on the Media Library tab. Find the image that goes with that post. You can search for an image and it’s especially easy if you gave that image a descriptive name when you saved it. I searched for “pear” and this is what popped up.
- Click on the image you want to use as a thumbnail to select it.
- In the Attachment Details, paste the URL in the Gallery Link URL box.
- Choose New Window for the Gallery Link Target. You always want to open links in a new window – always!
- IMPORTANT: Because this is the first link, you have to click Create Gallery on the LEFT Side of the screen, and then once you have all the information filled in, click Create a new gallery in the Attachment Details (as shown in the image below).
- You will be taken back to the Page and you should see the thumbnail.
- Click on Caption this Image, and give it a name.
- In the Gallery Settings, choose Link to Attachment Page.
- Choose the number of columns that you want. I like to have 5 columns.
- In the Attachment Details, click Insert Gallery.
- You will be taken back to the page, and a blue box will have appeared. This is your gallery.
Edit the Gallery and Add More Links
- Click on the Blue Box to activate the Gallery and then click on the Edit Gallery Button that appears (not the red Delete Symbol!)
- Click Add to Gallery, then repeat the same steps to add the rest of your links as desired. Click Update Gallery when you are finished, then Update your Page.
Add The Page to the Menu Bar
- Choose Appearance > Menus. In the Pages dialog box, click the box next to (
PIES)“Your Page Name” to select it and choose Add to Menu.
- Click Save Menu. Go to your blog (refresh the page) and check it out, you should now see the new Page on the Menu Bar. Congratulations! that’s the start of your first gallery!
So there you go! That’s how to create a Gallery in WordPress using the WordPress Gallery Links plugin.