Hot cocoa is definitely one of the simple joys of life!
Yesterday I made some for hubby and myself after we came in from the cold (minus 19C) brrrrrr……
The recipe called for a lot of sugar, but I drastically reduced the amount – it’s just an individual preference.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar - I would suggest starting with less than 1/4 cup then adjust to taste later
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Combine cocoa, sugar, salt and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Add milk and heat, stirring constantly - don't boil. Here is where I suggest you add more sugar if desired - heating until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, stir in cream and vanilla. Top with marshmallows.