This baked caramel popcorn was a recipe from my Mom. She loved her sweets and Christmas was a veritable sugar feast for her.
I make it now but I usually regret it because I eat far, far too much of it. I just have to remember to brush my teeth 5 times a day . . . anyway, I like to package it up in cellophane bags and give it as gifts (evil, I know).
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 quarts (24 cups) popped corn
- Melt butter, stir in brown sugar, syrup and salt.
- Heat to boiling stirring constantly. When it comes to a boil stop stirring and let boil for 4 - 5 minutes (watch it close).
- Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla.
- Pour over corn, turn out onto cookie sheets and bake at 250 degrees for one hour stirring every 15 minutes.
Enjoy! but make sure you give at least half of it away!