My absolute favourite snack during the holidays is nuts and bolts. It’s the first seasonal treat I make and I end up eating it for lunch and/or dinner … depending on who may or may not be around ;)
When you think about it, nuts and bolts has all the nutrition you find in cereals, plus the protein found in nuts (he he).
It’s funny how a person can use still life imagery to tell the story of their lives. I always make nuts and bolts this time of year. I use my Mom’s recipe and it’s like she’s here in the kitchen with me.
That old wooden spoon is mine, but has somehow come to look like my mother’s used to ;)
So this was my Mom’s recipe, but I tend to reduce the oil by about 1/4 cup. Both give great results, it just depends on your taste. I also reduced the salt (which is reflected in this recipe version.)
- 2 lbs salted mixed nuts
- 345 gram box Life Brand cereal
- 280 gram box Cheerios (original or multi grain, or both)
- 180 gram box Crispix
- 140 gram box pretzels
- 1 3/4 cups or up to 2 cups salad oil
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- Mix all cereals, nuts, and pretzels in large roaster (should just about fill it up).
- Whirl oil, sauce and salts in a blender.
- Drizzle over cereal and bake in a slow oven - 250 degrees for 2 hours turning and stirring every 15 minutes.