I can’t even tell you how delicious these cookies are.
So today I pulled it out, defrosted it, and rolled it out.
I kept thinking shamrocks, and green, and hmmmm, brownies and hmmmmm . . . peppermint icing!
Egad, I almost made myself sick on the icing alone!
It’s just the usual butter icing – 2 cups icing sugar, 4 – 5 Tbsp butter, a splash of milk, a drop of green food colouring and a dash of peppermint flavour. Splash. Drop. Dash. Then I made some green tea to serve as a bit of a tonic to my sugar overdose and I had myself a simply divine teatime all by myself. No regrets.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder together and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Form into two discs, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
- Roll out cookie dough on counter – I use a bit of cocoa to dust on the surface to keep the dough from sticking. Cut into desired shapes – of course I used hearts for Valentine's Day and Shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day!
- Bake on cookie sheets for 8 to 11 minutes until the edges are firm and the centres are slightly soft and puffed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.