Today I hope to inspire you with 7 ideas for kickstarting a blog post, and in doing so, reveal my top secret for “getting it done”.
Can you believe it’s almost September? How’s your summer been? Or winter … depending on where you live? I follow lots of people on Instagram that are from Australia, and they’re so excited about spring’s arrival … posting images of gorgeous pink tree blossoms … such an amazing world, isn’t it?
But for me … I’m looking straight into the face of autumn, and it’s my favourite time of year. I’m dreaming of colourful leaves, scented candles, and crispy apples.
I had an amazing summer … so full; family, lake time, bonfires, gardening. But through it all, I managed to keep my blog pretty much on track. In July, I published 11 posts, and so far in August it will be 12 posts … a bit below average, but not much. I also posted to Instagram every day … well, I may have missed one or two, but some days I posted up to three images.
And why do I do this? Because I love it. And I want to inspire you to love it.
So coming this fall, I’m starting a series on blogging …with the cheesy title of “Blogging Bits and Bytes (with Barb)”. I’m working on the first “course” and it should be ready by the end of September.
**UPDATE** First e-mail will be sent September 29th 2015
I use WordPress to write a blog post, but if you use a different platform … no matter … this is not a technical course, but rather me showing you how I do it, and you taking it from there. Oh, and did I mention? Its free. But if you want to be kept up-to-date on all the happenings, you can subscribe to receive all information as it becomes available. Subscribe here.
7 Ideas for Kick-Starting a Blog Post
- Do something! Bake, cook, craft, travel, read, garden, paint, draw … you get the idea.
- Learn by reading. Go to the library, a used book store, or buy a book.
- Share your process … people love to know … “how’d she do that?”
- Leaf through a magazine … but with intention. Vow to come away with one idea, then make it your own. If the magazine isn’t yours, simply pull out your phone and take a photo of the page.
- Read blogs for inspiration … get the spark and run with it. Make it your own … of course your “take” will always be different.
- As you’re doing research, think about what you would call your post … that one little thing solidifies an idea, and makes it seem like you’ve already started. Write it down.
- Watch for challenges on Instagram or weekly link-ups from other blogs and participate!
So what do you think my #1 secret for “getting it done” is?
Well, it’s # 6 “think of a title and write it down” … writing it down makes it real. I’ll be talking about why this is so important, as well as how this ties in with not only getting a blog post written, but also on promoting it … because you need to promote your blog posts! It takes a lot of work to put a post together, and you have to let the world know about it!
I hope I’ve inspired you with my 7 ideas, and I encourage you to join me in my new series coming late September. Let me help you write a great blog post!
If you’re not interested in the blogging bits … you can always just subscribe to my newsletter (see sidebar).