I’m going out on a limb today and sharing a post about wardrobe ideas for women of a certain age … so.out.of.my.comfort.zone. But hey! I’m combining it with a “Start to Finish” prompt from The Studio | Online to let autumn inspire us, then shoot a scene with some of our favourite things, so here goes … .
I chose my new grey sweater that came with a cowl/scarf, and a keychain necklace which I found at the Carvel General Store. This store is the quaintest, bestest little country gem you are ever going to find. It’s owned and operated by a mother/daughter team with whom I’ve become well-aquainted. I may not be the best customer, but I’m a good one (insert laugh) and it’s less than 10 minutes from my home! (insert double evil laugh.)
For my still life, I used the yellow leaves I’d picked from a tree in Rivers, Manitoba while attending Finding Stillness 2015. The leaves were actually what inspired me, with their lovely mustard colour and their grey specks.
I have to tell you, it’s not easy getting a shot from behind and over your own head, so after many attempts, I’m calling it a day, and I’m going to go drink that tea …
But first, the somewhat embarrassing wardrobe story—yes, I’m aging, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to feel good when I go out, so I paired my sweater with some leggings because they fit into my black boots quite well. However, after examining the photo, I thought the leggings may be a bit tight …
So I changed into some “skinny” pants I bought at Costco for $16.00. They felt and looked a bit better except they bunched at the knees, hence the following sit-down poses. I think in real life it wouldn’t matter much.
Oh my gosh, such geeky poses … but the thing is, I was laughing. This was quite the hilarious shoot … and it’s quite hard to hold yourself upright, suck in your tummy, and smile realistically …
So what are my wardrobe suggestions?
- Buy clothes that fit. You just look better. I know, I know. I don’t like back rolls, or sticky out tummies either, but a tight upper body-shaper helped whip mine into submission, plus it will keep me extra warm as temperatures drop. And gosh darn it! I’m over 60 so I’ve earned the right to have lumps and bumps.
- Spoil yourself with a new sweater for autumn. And some new skinny pants. And all the new underwear you need.
- A scarf and/or jewelry will add a touch of flare and pizzazz. I love this “key” chain. I don’t like a lot of jewelry, and I don’t wear earrings, so it’s the perfect piece for me.
- Consider some chic boots—you will be impressed at how amazing they make you feel as you charge through an airport. But be sure to take them off at security … anything to try to avoid that alarm and then the old pat-down.
- A small leather clutch purse with an over-the-shoulder strap is perfect for someone with a small frame. I also have a mega bag in which I put the small purse when I’m on a trip, so technically I am over the limit on carry-ons, however no one is the wiser.
Also, get a good haircut at least every four weeks, and a manicure (or polish your nails) every two weeks. A wee bit of effort goes a long way, and will leave you feeling so much better about yourself (at any age.)
Now the hardest part … I just have to hit “publish” … eek!
Thank you for dropping by today!