Winter – Up Close and Personal

One morning this week as I was watching some big fluffy snowflakes falling to the ground, I decided to see if I could possibly capture a macro shot of one of them.

I set a piece of black velvet on a snowbank, then used my phone and the Olloclip lens to zoom in on them. I kept trying to get one single flake but that was not to be. My hands were frozen, and as a matter of fact, so was the rest of me and after about 15 minutes I gave up. However, I was rewarded with a glimpse into an amazing world that is in plain sight, yet invisible to us.

snowflake-macro-copy

It’s pretty incredible that these tiny, delicate crystals are what have completely blanketed our landscape and caused this …

winter

This little shack is in a (mostly) abandoned farmyard not far from our home. I see it on my walk and every day I vow to go in there and get some photos. I’m a chicken when it comes to (trespassing) but I’m going to have to get over that. The other obstacle at the moment is that I’d be up to my butt in those tiny little crystals … which makes it hard to walk.

As I mentioned in an earlier post – you can see why I’m craving colour! I have got to go and get me some flowers! Poring over my summer files just isn’t cutting it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

1. says

our world looks much the same as far as color goes. I am enjoying the winter whites though….there are so many different shades of white, grey, black and brown. Your little crystals are so amazing. I am inspired to see if I can do this.

2. says

Wonderful capture Barb! And that’s a phone photo?? What’s an olloclip lens? That’s new to me. We got more of those tiny crystals lastnight too but we don’t have NEAR as much as you do.

3. says

That uptop photo is sooooo amazing! What we take for granted and how much beauty we miss just by not paying attention. That’s one of the great things about photography: making us see. Have a great weekend! {I hear you’re going to AZ again soon.}

4. says

That first shot is amazing ~ I absolutely love it. Trudging through snow can be fun for a shot ~ bundle up and stay warm!

5. Terri Porter says

I am always amazed by snowflake and ice crystal macro shots and yours is definitely amazing! The problem I seem to have with my olloclip is holding still enough. I end up having to take 10 shots to get one in focus, but I guess that’s the price I have to pay. So excited for your AZ visit and to get the chance to finally meet! We’re heading into the high 70s late next week and I hope it lasts until the end of the month. Stay warm until then!

6. says

Barb I love the snowflakes. I dont think this would be easy. I would love to give it a shot also.
    Lovely place you walk. Im like you and now scared to cross that line but have many many times photos.
    Some I enjoyed and did run into a nightmare .. I just didnt like what I saw.
    Have a lovely Sunday.